Summarize the article (
) by answering the three questions listed below. Each question should be discussed with a minimum of 5 sentences. Make sure you read the statement on Plagiarism. Also, do not copy and paste the article – that is plagiarism.
Title must be included.
1. What is the main focus of the article? Why does NAEYC have a position statement on developmentally appropriate practices?
2. What are three strategies or important parts of the position statement that are discussed in the article? (include which area your strategies are from- developmentally appropriate practice, the achievement gap, curriculum or teaching and learning)
3. Explain what the phrase “developmentally appropriate practice” (DAP) means as well as why developmentally appropriate practices are better for children. (You will need to do some extra outside research for this section so be sure to list the resources you used)
List and explain 5 things you would
see in a developmentally appropriate classroom for young children. Discuss why these things are developmentally appropriate. Consider: classroom materials/toys, interactions, activities, classroom design, routines, etc. Include a photo of your 5 DAP materials
*Be sure to refer to your resources for what is considered DAP. For each of the 5 DAP materials you should include a reference or resource for validation of the material/practice
You will observe children in a preschool setting. You will be analyzing the types of play and connecting the play to past theorists. Included with your write up should be the attached observation form filled out by you and the classroom teacher where your observation takes place.
Included in your write up should be:
Three separate examples of play that you observed .
For all three observations, the following should be included:
· a detailed description of what you observed. What strategies did you observe that were DAP? interactions, materials, activities, routines, classroom design, etc. (each observation should have a minimum of 7 sentences for this part)
· analyze the play and reflect on which type it is- (from our textbook, Part 2, Chapter 4 on pages 136-138). Minimum of 5 sentences.Here you should also include a goal from NCFELD from Approaches to Play and Leanring
· decide which theorist the observed play most closely matches and tell why. Choose from Erikson, Maslow, Piaget or Vvygotsky.(chapter 4) Minimum of 3 sentences
In a separate summary paragraph, minimum of 10 sentences, reflect on how the teacher supports play as well as any other activities, skills, or interventions the teacher could do to enhance the children’s play. Discuss how you will implement play into your learning environment. Pull from the video::The Power Of Play and discuss why play is so important in Early Childhood (minimum of 2 points). You should also include a minimum of one specific chapter reference to support your summary.
Scenario One: (here you describe what you observed- minimum of 7 sentences)
Type of Play: (for your first scenario- minimum of 5 sentences as well as an NCFELD goal)
Theorist: (for your first scenario- minimum of 3 sentences)
**the same format should be used for scenarios two and three and at the end of your submission should be your summary paragraph.
Acceptable Length: Follow the guidelines above
Maximum points are given when:
Three examples of play are listed and included with each scenario is:
1. a detailed description of the play scenario. (10 points for each)
2. the type of play, along with an NCFELD goal, is discussed for all 3 scenarios (10 points for each)
3. a theorist is selected and matches the play observed. (10 points for each)
Summary paragraph is included- minimum of 7 sentences (0-20 points)
Points are deducted for errors with grammar and spelling. Grading will also reflect use of basic English skills such as the use of complete sentences when writing
Observation form is included
Textbook, Part 2, Chapter 4 pages 115-129.
Textbook, Part 2, Chapter 4 pages 136-140
**there is a “how to” video in the combined reading list that guides you through how to use NCFELD if you need some extra guidance