- Let’s say that, as part of your research on housing insecurity, you are conducting archival and historical research on Miami-area evictions. Your first archival data source is Miami-Dade County’s official eviction reports, current and historical (https://www.miamidade.gov/global/police/evictions.page (Links to an external site.) ). Your second data source is Eviction Lab (https://evictionlab.org/map/#/2016?geography=states&type=er (Links to an external site.) ).
- As Desmond discusses during the first few minutes of “Unmasking …” (https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/episodes/40-acres-on-the-media-repeat (Links to an external site.) ), how do such data represent a biased sample of total evictions and thus underestimate total evictions?
- How do you think this undercount pertains to “The hidden side of Miami’s housing crisis …”? https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article195687409.html (Links to an external site.)
- What kinds of data sources—government, business, archival (past, present), photographic, ethnographic, geographic, etc.—might you have to find and use in order to obtain a more comprehensive picture of Miami-area evictions (perhaps for a specific district, a racial-ethnic group, disabled persons, elders, or the pandemic, etc.)? Be sure to describe sources beyond surveys, in-depth interviews, and ethnography by including at least five other types of sources. See, for example, Carr et al., chapter 12 (pages 371-388; and Nathan Connolly, “A world more concrete: The remaking of Jim Crow South Florida” https://www.c-span.org/video/?324271-2/a-world-concrete (Links to an external site.) (video, 28 minutes).
- Last week we wrote survey questions that elicit fixed responses or other brief responses. A survey can also include in-depth, open-ended questions, or to varying degrees a research project can focus on in-depth interviews.
- What is the difference between quantitative interviewing and qualitative interviewing? Provide an example of each type.
- Describe the sources of biases to avoid in in-depth interviews:
https://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/weinstein.agrawal/urbp298_phI_handout_Interviews.pdf (Links to an external site.)
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"