Guidelines for the ‘Concert Review’
Performance Review Information
The review for this class must be of a performance of rock or pop music. This includes all styles of rock, metal, pop, rap, alternative, etc. No country, jazz, folk, or classical. Obviously Covid has effected many industries, but perhaps none more than the performing arts. You have two opions for a concert review. If you can find a safe, preferrably outdoor live show, this would be option one. If not, find a FULL CONCERT on Youtube to watch and review. Then simply answer the questions below.
Think of yourself as the reviewer for a major newspaper. Evaluate a musical event based on your personal reactions and use the vocabulary and criteria discussed in class lectures. Be specific with your descriptions of the events and your responses, both emotionally and intellectually.
The purpose of these reviews is to take the concepts and musical styles discussed in class and apply them to understanding a ‘live’ performance. Keep your mind, eyes, and most importantly your ears open.
One Review of two pages is due the 15th(last) week of class. It must be a minimum of two typed pages, double spaced. Your grade will drop significantly if it is less than two pages.
Reviews should include the following:
1. Name of the artist or group. Describe the musician(s) and instruments played. Talk about the roles of the instruments as learned from the lecture in week one.
2. Do some research on the group and provide some historical background and a few career highlights.
3. Describe two or three of the songs. Discuss any musical elements which stood out. For example:
Lyrics- What was the song and did it affect you emotionally?
Style- Rock and Roll, R and B, Hip Hop, Grunge, etc.
4. Which was your favorite song and why? Which was your least favorite and why?
5. All music has precedent; influences that the artist has that come through in the music. Pick a tune or two, and using your new knowledge of rock history, see if you can find the hidden influence. In other words, “this band sounds like ???” I can tell because________!
6. Did you enjoy the performance on the whole? Why or why not?