1) Technology Overview (30 points).
- Choose a healthcare technology that is used to complete a nursing task or function. This may be a stand-alone technology, such as a vital signs monitor, a nursing task or function that is completed within the EHR, or any other software or technology tool used in nursing practice. Be sure to choose a technology with which a nurse interacts that can be analyzed using the 10 Usability Heuristics for Interface Design (see Step 4).
- Describe the technology, including its history and evolution and how it is used in nursing care.
- Describe how the technology improved or enhanced patient care, safety and/or outcomes.
2) Workflow Analysis (30 points). Analyze the clinical workflow surrounding the use of the technology.
- Create a current state process map illustrating each step of a nurse’s workflow using the technology. Describe the current workflow.
- Discuss how the technology enhances and/or hinders the clinical workflow. How might the technology or workflow be adjusted to increase efficiency or better support patient care? If appropriate, you may create a future state process map illustrating the improved workflow.
3) Human-Technology Interface (30 points). Analyze the human-technology interface.
- Find or take a picture of the technology including all screens or parts with which a nurse interacts. (Note: If it is not possible to find or take a screen capture from the EHR, you may mock-up the screen(s) using Word or PowerPoint drawing tools).
- Describe how the nurse interacts with the technology or computer screen(s) step-by-step.
- Evaluate the human-technology interface using the 10 Usability Heuristics for Interface Design What could be improved? Why? Be sure to address each factor.
4) Summary (10 points).
- Summarize your findings.
- Present recommended changes to the technology and/or workflow as appropriate.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"