Porter’s Five Forces Analysis of New Industry
1. Rivalry among competitors
- How many competitors are there in the industry?
- What is each competitor’s position? How much of the market share has each one captured?
- Do companies compete intensely in this industry? If so, do they engage in rivalry and lower prices to gain market share?
- Do companies compete to provide additional services or constant innovation?
2. Threats of New Entrants to the Market
- What barriers are there to entering the market?
- Are there many regulations or legal barriers?
- Are there high costs associated with gaining the expertise necessary to produce goods or provide services for the market?
- How many other companies are just as prepared or better prepared than yours to enter this industry?
3. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Which companies provide the raw materials for your product?
- Are there many suppliers, or only a few?
- Does rivalry between the suppliers drive down the price of some of the raw materials?
- Is a virtual monopoly on some of the raw materials by a single supplier likely to drive up the price of raw materials?
- Overall, how will the bargaining power of suppliers affect the cost and ease of obtaining the materials necessary to enter the new industry?
4. Threat of Substitute Products
- Are other products emerging in this industry that might compete with existing products?
- What are these possible competing products?
- Are these possible competing products cheaper to produce than the industry’s current products?
- Are these possible competing products better in other ways?
- Could these possible competing products wedge your company out of the market?
5. Bargaining Power of Buyers
- How many different companies or consumer groups buy the products sold in this new industry?
- If there are only a few customers, would they be able to push to lower the price of the products?
- If there are many, are there any organizations that enable the customers to band together and jointly apply pressure to reduce costs of your products?
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"